The Tories may want Bliar to limp on a little longer but if I was Brown, I would take the leadership and GO STRAIGHT TO THE POLLS. He will know well that much comparison will be made with Major and the best thing he can do is get a fresh mandate in his own name, no matter how soon after the last GE.
Well, after your Ming Campbell coup, who are we to argue?
For my part, I have always maintained Blair would go on the 10th anniversary of his coming to power next year, but for the first time I am now wondering whether he can possibly last that long.
March 17, 2006 at 10:07 AM
Anonymous
said...
The trouble with this analysis, which could well be perceptive is that these people ( all of them) think governing GB is just an amusing game. Whatever happens THEY will not only survive but thrive as they are wealthy enough to glide over any trouble. For the rest of us, whichever way the wind blows, we have to bend. When despotic rulers finally go insane, they need to got rid of as fast as possible because they do their countries much damage in their final days before their hapless populations can get rid of them. My view is that Tory Blair intends to take the Labour Party down with him. What do we do then?
The Leveller said... "My view is that Tory Blair intends to take the Labour Party down with him. What do we do then?"
Rejoice!
March 17, 2006 at 10:14 AM
Anonymous
said...
falconers "no English Parliament" out burst ould have been a put up job for an ex flatmate. Knifing big Gordy in the back just as he was about to take the prize. I hope so any way.
March 17, 2006 at 11:09 AM
Anonymous
said...
Richard. My thoughts exactly. Even if GB doesn't feel the need to go to the country I suspect that there will be a great enough demand for him to do so that he will be forced to cal an election soon after he has assumed power.
Leveller. You say "My view is that Tory Blair intends to take the Labour Party down with him. What do we do then?" I say break out the champagne and declare a three day public holiday. But then that is just a personal opinion.
Anon. I doubt Falkner's that bright
RM
March 17, 2006 at 11:52 AM
Anonymous
said...
The one thing you can be sure of is that TB will leave when it suits him - to hell with GB; the economy etc etc - he is far too selfish/advised by God etc to give a damn about the consequences. Probably he would enjoy seeing everything fall apart afer he leaves - nothing so good for the ego as seeing lesser mortals fuck up
March 17, 2006 at 12:03 PM
Anonymous
said...
Mr Tony Blair will leave office in 2008.
March 17, 2006 at 12:10 PM
Anonymous
said...
Gord will not call a slap election, the Labour Party (and the other parties) are flat broke.
March 17, 2006 at 3:24 PM
Anonymous
said...
I think you'd better constrain your top tips to the world of politics Guido...
Ever noticed how Tonys trademark smile is starting to look like a grimmace?
March 17, 2006 at 6:15 PM
Anonymous
said...
Yes, but think about it.............if you had a job like his with all the tax-free home help and travel, would you really want to be forced to give it up to spend more time with your wife ?
Anthony Eden shredded papers after Suez; Blair just didn't commit to paper........a future David Irving will emerge to declare Blair a political innocent and claim it was Peter Mandelson wot did it all...............
March 17, 2006 at 6:48 PM
Anonymous
said...
You can only imagine what all this speculation is doing to the fund raising side of things. The prospect of a GE in anything under two years must scare the beejeezus out of party bosses. Still, it would be interesting to get this thing sorted out sooner rather than later as I'm not sure why everyone thinks the public love Gordon Brown all of a sudden.
March 18, 2006 at 2:05 PM
Anonymous
said...
OK so the feeling is the parties are too broke to fight an election so soon. But what if Lathe Labour accountants know something the general public (and other parties) don't. Maybe that's why there seem to be so many loans being made to Labour coffers at the moment.
See! I've managed to describe a whole conspiracy without blaming any particular religious group. Anyone else care to try.
16 comments:
The Tories may want Bliar to limp on a little longer but if I was Brown, I would take the leadership and GO STRAIGHT TO THE POLLS. He will know well that much comparison will be made with Major and the best thing he can do is get a fresh mandate in his own name, no matter how soon after the last GE.
Well, after your Ming Campbell coup, who are we to argue?
For my part, I have always maintained Blair would go on the 10th anniversary of his coming to power next year, but for the first time I am now wondering whether he can possibly last that long.
The trouble with this analysis, which could well be perceptive is that these people ( all of them) think governing GB is just an amusing game. Whatever happens THEY will not only survive but thrive as they are wealthy enough to glide over any trouble. For the rest of us, whichever way the wind blows, we have to bend. When despotic rulers finally go insane, they need to got rid of as fast as possible because they do their countries much damage in their final days before their hapless populations can get rid of them.
My view is that Tory Blair intends to take the Labour Party down with him. What do we do then?
The Leveller said...
"My view is that Tory Blair intends to take the Labour Party down with him. What do we do then?"
Rejoice!
falconers "no English Parliament" out burst ould have been a put up job for an ex flatmate. Knifing big Gordy in the back just as he was about to take the prize.
I hope so any way.
Richard. My thoughts exactly. Even if GB doesn't feel the need to go to the country I suspect that there will be a great enough demand for him to do so that he will be forced to cal an election soon after he has assumed power.
Leveller. You say "My view is that Tory Blair intends to take the Labour Party down with him. What do we do then?" I say break out the champagne and declare a three day public holiday. But then that is just a personal opinion.
Anon. I doubt Falkner's that bright
RM
The one thing you can be sure of is that TB will leave when it suits him - to hell with GB; the economy etc etc - he is far too selfish/advised by God etc to give a damn about the consequences.
Probably he would enjoy seeing everything fall apart afer he leaves - nothing so good for the ego as seeing lesser mortals fuck up
Mr Tony Blair will leave office in 2008.
Gord will not call a slap election, the Labour Party (and the other parties) are flat broke.
I think you'd better constrain your top tips to the world of politics Guido...
Anonymong,
True but I chose because I just liked the name. "Beef or salmon" is the phrase you hear at most Irish weddings.
At least the Irish took first, second and third!
True. Buyer beware I suppose. And I can hardly complain after being so damn happy with you after my win on Ming...
Why conference? And do you think he'll go before, or after (or maybe even AT?)
Ever noticed how Tonys trademark smile is starting to look like a grimmace?
Yes, but think about it.............if you had a job like his with all the tax-free home help and travel, would you really want to be forced to give it up to spend more time with your wife ?
Anthony Eden shredded papers after Suez; Blair just didn't commit to paper........a future David Irving will emerge to declare Blair a political innocent and claim it was Peter Mandelson wot did it all...............
You can only imagine what all this speculation is doing to the fund raising side of things. The prospect of a GE in anything under two years must scare the beejeezus out of party bosses. Still, it would be interesting to get this thing sorted out sooner rather than later as I'm not sure why everyone thinks the public love Gordon Brown all of a sudden.
OK so the feeling is the parties are too broke to fight an election so soon. But what if Lathe Labour accountants know something the general public (and other parties) don't. Maybe that's why there seem to be so many loans being made to Labour coffers at the moment.
See! I've managed to describe a whole conspiracy without blaming any particular religious group. Anyone else care to try.
RM